Pont du Gard

Pont du Gard

Sunday, February 28, 2010

No Panic, Yet

Today, the weather in Nice is 58 degrees with a high of 63 expected for Monday. With 26 days remaining before wheels up, the threat of a strike at British Airways is still a possibility. We did purchase trip insurance; this basically means lots of time spent trying to decipher the language of the contract to determine if they can actually weasel out of providing any benefits in the event we have travel problems. I did discover if we get thrown in jail, the insurance company will assist in providing bail money! Generous as they might be, this means they would collect money from our friends and relatives and then send it to wherever we are. So, before we leave, please provide contact information and the amount you would be willing to contribute just in case.

We do have a couple of options for alternative travel if BA fails. One option is to purchase fully refundable tickets on a separate carrier (pretty expensive) or, if BA does strike then do some last minute panic buying. I did spend some time researching the options getting from London to Nice since there is a good possibility we can still get to London on BA. A last resort is to take the Eurostar train from London to Nice (don't tell Barb this would involve going through the Chunnell) then a train to Nice, This is a bit more complicated than walking across the terminal to catch our connecting flight in Heathrow since it involves taking the London tube to the train station then the train to Paris, then the Paris subway to the proper departing station, then transferring in Toulon to Nice. Provided we can make all the connections, we would arrive in Nice about 6 hours later than originally planned. But, the Princess is confident the BA flight attendants will wait until we are in Nice to go on strike. Did I note that the last possible day for them to strike is the day we depart?

Monday, February 22, 2010

BA Threatens Industrial Action (Strike)

So, here we are 32 days before departure, British Airways and their Unions are still fighting, BA has won a couple of rounds in the Courts, but now the Union has posted a warning of impending Industrial Action to occur sometime about, yes, you guessed it, the time Barbara and Michael are scheduled to depart for Nice. Probably to early to worry much or make secondary plans, but something to consider. I don't really mind if we get stuck in Nice, but we have to get there before we get stranded. Something about being stranded in Nice that has a pleasant appeal...... Let me see, the beach, warm weather, great restaurants, plenty of things to do. I wonder if we would be missed at work?

Saturday, February 20, 2010

34 days until we leave on BA 0028 to Nice. Today, the weather in Renton is fantastic, 52 degrees and sunny (feels like 70). I washed the windows and tomorrow will mow the lawn for the second time this year. The cherry blossoms are in full bloom, which seems very early this year. Tomorrow in Nice it will be 57 degrees and sunny also. I found a nice art guidebook on Vincent Van Gogh, just the perfect size to take along on the trip. Van Gogh spent many years painting in Provence, and although few of his paintings are on display in the area, the locations where he painted have changed little. We plan to visit Saint Remy de Provence (where he cut his ear and was confined to a mental hospital), and Arles on our way to Avignon. I suspect we may also sample some of the regions’ wines as we pass through, in particular, I am excited to try Chateauneuf du Pape, which is very expensive here, and probably also a lower quality, I have to remember we are driving in this area so the consumption of wine along the way will have to be judiciously imbibed.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What Happened?

37 days until we depart for Southern France, what happened to 38? Must have been too busy to post. Today the weather in Nice is rainy with a high of 55 degrees, by the end of the week, it will be sunny and 57. Gradually climbing to perfection on March 27, the day we land in Nice, and take the bus to Vielle Ville, or Old Town.


Monday, February 15, 2010

39 Days

39 days until our ETD. The weather in Nice is 48 degrees and rainy at 8:27PM Nice time. Today is President's Day in the US and although we have the day off, I have spent the entire morning working, trying to catch up on my projects. This vacation is well deserved, and will not come soon enough! Already, I have started to plan a Greece trip for October, too many places, too little time, and too little money.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

40 Days

48 degrees currently in Nice with an expected high of 52 degrees on Monday, Nice is warming up in anticipation of our arrival in 40 days. By the time we arrive, the high temperatures will be in the 60's gradually rising to the 70's in mid April, perfect for the beach and walking.

Saturday, February 13, 2010


41 days before we start our new adventure in Provence. Barbara is giddy with anticipation, while Michael is ready to go already! Once embarked, we plan to provide daily updates with photos and a brief description of our daily experiences.